Monday, December 04, 2017

The big news is that I heard from my friend the Duchess of Palma last night, after writing to you – Archie’s and my Cooking Day with her is all set for January 4, deposit paid and received. Next we must book a street food walking tour – I don’t think that’s urgent, but we ought to get it done before we leave.

That’ll still leave three days for culture.

I think it may be possible to hear Mass in the Cappella Palatina on Sunday -- “Palermo’s top tourist attraction”, according to Lonely Planet. I mean to try. I sometimes think about how, in the Bad Old Days, people who lived in appalling squalor and poverty could and did experience great art – including music – by going to church. I think there are still a couple of Titians in churches in Venice, but such things are a good deal rarer than they were.

Nigella Lawson says in one of my magazines that the first thing to do if you want to survive Christmas is to keep a notebook in the kitchen, and make lists. She may be right. I got several important items crossed off mine today,  including facing up to the Elephant in the Room and writing the first five Christmas cards. I wonder if the Internet will make that practice redundant soon – it’s awfully time-consuming and awfully expensive.

The round-robin letter printed with minimal smudging, perfectly legible.

Time-consuming or not, I also got some knitting done, and have at last rounded the final corner with that baby-shawl edging and started the gallop down the home stretch. I’ll do some Soutache before I go to bed.


And tomorrow – a new Fruity Knitting! I must make the best of it. I presume that things will slow down over the hols.

2 comments:

  1. That is an interesting perspective on the art and music in churches. I've been slowly listening to Living with the Gods, a Neil McGregor podcast that links items in the British Museum and role of spiritual beliefs. Really interesting. Short bits, which help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder of these podcasts. I loved the 'history in 100 objects" series and have been listening to his Shakespeare series.

      Delete