Thursday, January 21, 2016

I hadn't realised that Kate Davies' Deco cardigan was a re-run. I'm not complaining: it has been brilliantly re-knit in the new yarn, and that's what we're looking for. What yarn was suggested in the original pattern? That might be a useful pointer to other patterns suitable for the new yarn.

All well here, except, not much knitting. I can't see the Dunfallandy blankie being finished this week after all. That cat actually came and sat on it and my lap yesterday – and she's not a lap-sitter, that cat – in order to stop me knitting. One thing I hope to learn in London next week is not the sex of the promised child, but whether it's expected in early, middle, or late March.

I wandered around Carol Sunday's website for a while yesterday evening, as I often do. I am rather taken with her pattern called Chrysalis, a sort of shawl with sleeves. And with her yarn called Nirvana, with a touch of cashmere in it, for knitting it with. I think the six weeks on either side of the winter solstice are the ones in which I am at my most vulnerable to yarn-buying temptations.

But I haven't bought this one yet.

I'm also rather taken with a Twist Collective pattern called Channa. Perfectly simple with what I think is called a boat neck, a feature with which I am suddenly rather smitten having seen it on the dentist's receptionist last week in dark navy with a crisp white blouse underneath.

There's plenty of knitting to do here already; I don't need reminding. And plenty more planned.

Non-knit

London plans are moving forward. Time enough for absolute terror tomorrow. We are going to see Guys and Dolls! I love it almost as much as I do My Fair Lady and it has the additional advantage of recalling the NYC of my youth.

I felt I ought to have a political shirt of some sort for 2016. I have a Kerry one, and an Obama of course, and I think maybe there was something before Kerry. It'll be in a drawer in Strathardle, if so. I was hard put to think who to go for this time, and have finally ordered a Bernie Sanders sweat shirt.

I'm sure Hillary will make a very competent president, but I am sad to think that the first woman to hold that office should have got in on her husband's coat-tails. No worse than Indira Ghandi and Benazir Bhutto, I suppose.

My mother would have been terribly keen on Sanders, I think, although she was also a strong feminist and might have been torn. My parents had a cat named Norman Thomas when I was born (I'll leave you to google that one) but he didn't like me and soon left.


Perdita is fine. She still walks with a slight limp when she remembers, but for all practical purposes is scampering about as before.

14 comments:

  1. I thought Indira Ghandi was there on her Father's coat-tails (Nehru). The Gandhi she was married to was no relation to the Mahatma Gandhi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh! That's for Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, Obama, and of course Trump. It's dismal these days. None of them stand for what people I know, love,and respect stand for. We're hard pressed to find a public "servant" these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take another look at Sanders. If he's not for us knitters, I don't know who is . . . .

      Delete
  3. If the first woman prez had to be a woman on a spouse's coattails, I wish it had been Eleanor Roosevelt! I love Guys and Dolls. And Damon Runyon. At Christmas my husband read me Dancing Dan's Christmas while I was feverishly doing last minute knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean you are wonderful. A Bernie Sanders sweatshirt, I love it. Who is the supplier? I want one. I have put away all my special Seattle Seahawks T-shirts for another year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Syd T.3:16 PM

    I too would like to know where you got the Bernie Sanders Sweatshirt, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, San Diego CA5:56 PM

      Feel the Bern! https://store.berniesanders.com/collections/apparel?page=2

      Delete
  6. Carol, San Diego, CA6:01 PM

    Jean, Guys & Dolls - what fun! I, too, adore My Fair Lady and many other musicals. Will you tell us more about your youth when in NYC and say more about your mom, too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been pondering since I showed that I was unsure of how to spell Gandhi. I can't think of a woman who rose to the very top without some family connection to power. Except, perhaps, Julia Gillard. I would be glad to be proved wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Thatcher? Mrs Merkel? Golda Meir? Maybe I just don't know enough about the latter two, but for Mrs Thatcher I feel pretty sure I'm on safe ground.

      Delete
    2. Mrs Thatcher? Mrs Merkel? Golda Meir? Maybe I just don't know enough about the latter two, but for Mrs Thatcher I feel pretty sure I'm on safe ground.

      Delete
    3. Mrs Thatcher? Mrs Merkel? Golda Meir? Maybe I just don't know enough about the latter two, but for Mrs Thatcher I feel pretty sure I'm on safe ground.

      Delete
  8. Clearly not pondering very productively - I do believe you are right about all three!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:10 PM

    Thanks for Chrysalis, that would look awesome on my bestie, who is always cold.

    ReplyDelete