Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The errant Follower has returned, or else -- more likely -- someone else has stepped into the breach. Welcome!

Absolutely no knitting to report today. I had an echo test on my heart yesterday afternoon, and then went on to visit my husband, and by the time I got home it was time to think about supper. A vegetable curry which turned out rather well – and Greek Helen got here with Fergus in good time to eat it.

I did at least get the dog book out and put it on the coffee table ready for action. The finished dog is going to be a lot smaller than I had imagined. I was expecting something the size of Sam the Ram, but the book, on close inspection, says that it will be only 6” long and 5 1/2” high to the top of the head. That shouldn't take long.

Books

Thank you for all the suggestions. I was particularly astonished and delighted, Knitlass, by your idea of “Wedding Preparations in the Country” – especially as the party will be in a marquee in Ketki and Alexander's garden and goodness knows what the weather will be doing. And Kafka, of all people! There is a fairly recent Penguin, and I have ordered a cheap 2nd hand copy.

Janet, I had thought of Mitford's “Pursuit of Love” but since reading your comment I think “Love in a Cold Climate” would be better (see paragraph above).

I should have thought of “Member of the Wedding” myself – and Rachel thinks she has a copy. I think I tend to get it confused in my head with Welty's “Delta Wedding”.

Jane Austin won't do, I'm afraid. The game is restricted to titles only. What a pity that first word in Munro's “Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage”! Maybe it would be all right. I'll see what Rachel thinks.

Cat, I have never heard of Katie Fforde. Clearly every single title of hers would do nicely. We can keep her in reserve to compensate for any shortage.

I agree about “A Suitable Boy”. I had passed it over on my own shelf simply because it is so big that it would overwhelm any pile which had it as a member. There must be a smaller paperback edition.

And, Sarah, I agree about “The Bride of Lammermoor”. We must certainly have that. I went along a shelf of Scott's yesterday without spotting it. Perhaps we keep a rump of Scotts in Strathardle, and it's there.

There are other suggestions of highly suitable titles of which I have heard neither the book nor the author, including my sister's suggestion of “A Happy Marriage” by Iglesias. She says she'll bring it along.


Many, many thanks

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Oh dear! I'm on holiday and a day late for this game, but based in your comments above, Jean, here's my title suggestion: "Cheerful weather for the wedding" by Julia Strachey. Ta dah! I do hope so! Stella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect, Stella! Especially if the weather turns out to be as bad as it all-too-frequently is, on the west coast.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:06 PM

    I might have one too. Jan Karon's "A Common Life: The Wedding Story".

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the great Bard

    Alls Well That Ends Well
    Much Ado about Nothing
    Midsummer Nights Dream
    As You LIke It
    The Merchant of Venice
    The Taming of the Shrew
    The Tempest
    Twelfth Night
    The Two Gentlemen of Verona
    The Winter's Tale

    And of course volumes of his sonnets!


    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fun! The Princess Bride - William Goldman. I even have Cheerful Weather for the Wedding on my bookshelf and never thought of it. Good eye, Stella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My stash will long outlive me, I fear. And my To Read List will never be exhausted, either, thanks to your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful suggestions for wedding books!
    re "A Suitable Boy" - this is the only book I have ever taken a Stanley knife to, thus creating two volumes to facilitate reading in the bath - and it was the paperback version!

    ReplyDelete