Friday, May 29, 2015

Medical

I agree with you, Tamar. “Little C” is a healthy young woman, not given to whinging. We've all of us come off a horse in our day. The pain seems excessive. She is at home with her mother (our niece C. with whom I recently went to Athens). She needs help getting from bed to bathroom. Our niece is a teacher, currently on half-term break. She has taken next week off on compassionate leave. I'll keep you posted.

My husband's problems are much as before. His excellent background team of relatives and friends have been considering whether moving him to a nursing home for rehabilitation would help. Someone came up with this, which sounds the perfect answer. I'll press during today's visit for more information. He remains very cross.

Knitting

I've finished the eight-lozenge row of the Fantoosh and have embarked on the ten-lozenge one. Rows now seem very long and progress feels very slow, but I am now on the threshold of the row I found so difficult last time, and determined to get it right. I think when the ten-lozenges are done it will be time to fit the Fantoosh into a system which incorporates all the other things I am knitting.

The other other knitting news concerns a bit of English folk-knitting which I have long felt has been undeservedly neglected, namely the cricket sweater. England recently won a Test match against New Zealand, here in London, and only after it was over did the nation (including some of the players) explode in genteel wrath about the new Official Sweater.

It's pretty bad. Starting from the bottom, there's a red stripe before the ribbing. I congratulated myself anew for putting the red stripe inside Archie's new sweater, on the facing of the hem. Then the ribbing, and the traditional cables – but only as far as the underarm. The rest is plain, presumably to leave space for the sponsor's logo which is, I am embarrassed to tell you, the name of my favourite supermarket.

There was a letter in yesterday's Telegraph from a woman who has knit cricket sweaters for three generations of her family:


“I had noticed, while watching the latest Test match on television, that the cable pattern stopped half way up. I was puzzled as to the reason. If I lose a cable needle occasionally, the first place I look is down the side of the sofa, and if it's not there I replace it with a spare one.”

5 comments:

  1. There was much harrumphing in this household (OH has learned much about knitting over the years) when we saw that cricket sweater. It seems to me to boil down to cheap production values. There was always the tradition of a colour stripe in the ribbing - but just that - IN the ribbing. And stopping the cables where a gansey starts them is just cheap too. Do they think nobody will notice!?
    The hospital sounds like such a suitable place, with more than a regular nursing home is likely to provide. Crossing fingers that the professional will agree, and put things in train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:42 AM

    Love the story about the missing cable needle!

    Did 'Little C' receive an MRI scan - looking for soft tissue injury? A friend was injured and only after her fracture healed and she still couldn't move properly did they look further, MRI scan and discover serious ligament damage. I think it's time to ask for a second opinion; armed with a list of what makes the pain better / worse and which movements are difficult (or impossible) and any other observations.
    Good work on the Fantoosh, enjoy.
    Best wishes, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The comment on the sweater is wonderful - almost "There Will Always be an England" quality. Must go look at the new sweater. I do hope your niece gets someone to listen and take another look. A nerve injury?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:15 PM

    Continue to hope for Little C.'s healing and for the best possible arrangements for your husband - and for you. Cricket sweater: part of the ugliness is the bagginess, which I guess is a trend. I always felt, during and after my years in England, that cricketers looked better in their gear than members of any other sports team. This was in the days before corporate logos were all over every team sport, either side of the pond.
    - Beth in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  5. That letter to the editor is priceless. It made me chortle, and I'll take every chortle I get.

    Medical: Family and friends continue to be sensible and supportive. I'm glad your niece has cleared her schedule to take care of her daughter's worrying situation.

    - Anita

    ReplyDelete