Wednesday, April 17, 2013


I’m feeling much better. My sister and daughters all rang up yesterday telling me to go see a dr, but I continue to believe (as you said, Hat) that this is post-viral and I’d be wasting everybody’s time. When I really did have pneumonia, several decades ago, and knew I was seriously ill, and suspected pneumonia, I got myself to a dr’s surgery with considerable difficulty and was told I had flu. That meant another 60 hours of unpleasantness as it got worse – eventually, a different dr was called to the house and injected an antibiotic. The delay probably added weeks to the long, slow recovery. So much for doctors.

While I was resting yesterday afternoon I listened to the radio, as always, and half-heard an interesting programme called “Great Lives” which yesterday was about Kenny Everett. British readers will know. People who knew him talked about his life. One of them said he was sui generis.

That’s the feeder line for our favourite joke, and Kenny E. would have been the perfect subject for it: “…indeed, perhaps, sui generis to a fault.”

But I guess they don’t know that one, down at the BBC.

Alexander has posted pictures on Facebook of his ducks having their first swim. They are  taking to it like… And surely I detect some feathers.


Knitting

I should start the heel of the first Pakokku sock today, all being well. I’ll go ahead with Fleegle-Strong on your recommendation, Hat. I looked for Pakokku on both ebay.co.uk and ebay.com, without success. Is there no skein of it for sale anywhere in the world? I could think of knitting Alexander a Gardening Sweater from Into the Whirled Delhi DK – that actually seems to be for sale on their website – but have failed so far to find out how it knits up. Even on Ravelry.

Stash Haus has left an interesting comment on a post from a couple of days ago, about Sally Melville and Amy Herzog and the general topic of knitting to fit and flatter. She had a chance to try on different sweaters at a Herzog class, and was surprised to see what did, in fact, flatter. That would be a very useful exercise.

Breaking news – an email has arrived from Craftsy since I sat down here an hour or so ago, to say that Franklin’s class is available. I’ve signed up. Would Alexander like a gardening sweater with an Heirloom Lace Edging?

9 comments:

  1. can you point me to directions for FLEEGLE STRONG? i am trying FLEEGLE on my current pair (fifth heel design) and like it ... whats the advantage with adding STRONG?

    this is all fun - new concepts keep the brain alert

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my fault. Fleegle and Strong are the same thing. I think Strong published first, but it doesn't matter -- it's the same heel. And I do agree --this is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. was having a bit of a down day until I read your post! A garden sweater with an Heirloom Lace Edging! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:38 PM

    Hello,

    First of all, glad you're improving and loved the heirloom lace edged gardening sweater idea!

    ITW (Into the Whirled) is preparing for the Maryland Sheep & Wool show, May 4&5. Likely, she has most of her stock headed for there.

    intothewhirled is Cris' Ravelry name. If you search for her using the "People" tab, you can find her page with her blog link AND her flickr link which leads to to pages of photos of her stunning yarns and fibers. Also, you could contact her thru Rav and see if she has some Vamps of Ven that she would ship to you since you're overseas. She does ship internationally.

    http://www.shop.intothewhirled.com/

    Also, also, my sister is going to Maryland Sheep & Wool. If for some reason it's necessary, she could shop at ITW for you. (Who doesn't enjoy spending someone else's money.)

    Jeanne in Rochester

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I've heard from your sister. This is a very kind offer. I'll reply directly, and look forward to getting my hands on those vampires!

      Delete
  5. I currently have Great Lives on my iPod and most recently listed to an episode on Winston Churchill from 2010. Available as a free podcast on iTunes. (Actually it's quite amazing how much of BBC Radio is available on iTunes.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:20 AM

    Also, also, also ... DUCKS! My brother and I quack at each other when we answer each other's phone calls.

    Jeanne in Rochester

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jean
    (I am writing from a business trip to Chicago area). I was glad to read your post today, with so much humour included, I am sure you are feeling much better. I just wanted to mention, that I know of a few people who were given antibiotics recently because the virus was suceeded by a bacterial infection, so it might still be worth visiting the doc, especially if you are coughing a lot.

    Take care, I love your blog.
    Dawn (not in NL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not coughing, which is a big reason for not visiting a dr now. That famous time when I did have pneumonia, a bad cold had segued into a serious cough as well as fever. I remember faintly protesting, when the doctor said I had flu, "what about the cough?" And, of course, two and a half days later, antibiotics were effective.

      Delete