Monday, August 20, 2012


A brief log-in before we disappear for another week.

The second Candace-Strick-toe went very well. There were fewer stitches than there should have been when I got to the point of retrieving them from the provisional cast-on, but they were easily replaced and the join looks neater than I could have hoped. Will I now have to knit another pair of Candace’ socks to perfect the technique? I suppose what a Real Knitter would do would be just to practice, with no particular end in view. Sort of like swatching.

I re-read the instructions for a k2p2 tubular bind-off. I still don’t understand them (=they still sound too complicated to tempt me to try), but I think I can conclude that there is something better than treating k2p2 exactly the same as k1p1. Never mind: the result is acceptable.

We half-watched a television programme last night about Osborne, Queen Victoria’s beloved house on the Isle of Wight. In the “family room” where royal children were said to tumble on the floor while Victoria and Albert admired them, was a spinning wheel. Did the Queen spin? Or have the present curators put in it because it looks “Victorian”?

5 comments:

  1. I believe HM could spin - she could certainly knit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, she did spin! in the last "spinoff" magazine was a card, showing HM in front of a spinning wheel, advertisement for a NI linen company, spinning away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:34 PM

    http://all-she-wants-to-do-is-knit.com/2012/04/25/3kcbwday3-my-knittingcrochet-hero/

    a picture of HM spinning and doing some crochet.
    Ron in Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar8:01 PM

    Many years ago it occurred to me that an efficient sock knitter who intended to give socks to people, or who had a lot of time to knit if only it weren't necessary to pay attention to the pattern - such a knitter would make up lots of parts of socks - toes, heels, ribbings - when attention-paying time was available, and leave them on holding string. Then when idiot-knitting was needed, she could be knitting basic tubes out of the "real" yarn. Later on, the fancy bits could be grafted into place. I even saw a circa 1920s advertisement for commercially-made replacement sock feet for the busy housewife to graft onto ankles of socks. Somewhere I have a pair of tubes waiting for heels...

    ReplyDelete