Friday, June 26, 2009

What Housework? has a good post on happiness this morning – and a good idea for sowing peas. I, too, grow a low variety of real peas (in addition to high-climbing mange-touts) – why leave room for weeds between the rows? I’ll remember that, next year.

Mary Lou, thank you for the kind words about the Princess. (I hugely enjoyed your Twittery account of your day, posted on June 9.) I’m very happy with the present scheme – one repeat of the edging pattern, then on to the cardigan. I do best with the edging when I’m reasonably fresh. Of late (except for yesterday) it has been going remarkably smoothly, no little tink’s or presences or absences of unaccountable stitches. The cardigan is perfect for tiredness and cider-on-Sunday.

I’ve thought of a niggle – uncharacteristically perfectionist, for me. At the end, I am supposed to lace-graft the edging I’m knitting to the original first row. Surely it would be a good idea, therefore, to finish with row 19 and try to create row 20 with the grafting? That has the additional advantage of having the working yarn at the outside edge when the grafting starts. Maybe I’ll post a query to the Heirloom Knitting group about this. There has been a certain amount of correspondence about finishing the Princess and lace-grafting, but I don’t remember anyone touching on this point.

Here’s the current state of the cardigan – not all that far from the upper edge of the back. The new Schoolhouse Press adult-baby-child (ABC) Surprise pattern includes, amidst much else, the possibility of an i-cord bind-off, new to me, I think. I will leave the shoulder stitches live, with that as a possibility. Or at least a three-needle bind-off, an effect I love.


The Faculty Meeting Knitter (she who recently finished her Princess) has introduced me, virtually speaking, to Yarn Market’s Impressionist Collection. Golly. Life is definitely too short.

3 comments:

  1. How interesting about the peas. My pea crop this year has been pitiful, but the abundance of tomatos may make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did well with peas in the later winter/early spring when I lived in North Carolina- I planted a dwarf variety in a large pot and they grew like gangbusters on my porch- and I had no idea as to how to grow the suckers! They just grew...

    The impressionist yarn is impressive. Very nice. Right now I am in that liminal space of moving- my household items have gone ahead of me to Texas and I am in my little brick house in Oberlin with nothing but a broken chair (to be thrown away when I leave) and an air mattress. We hit the road Monday... and I will be sad to leave this little town.

    But I have lots of knitting to keep me company (especially after the cable man comes and takes away my internet in an hour.) I am entranced with mitered squares at the moment... which is good because I certainly need something to pass the time with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I-cord bind off is no more difficult that three needle bind off and I like the way it looks on an unshaped shoulder seam - I did it on a ribwarmer.

    Pea idea looks like a good one. I grow Ne Plus Ultra - a heritage variety from the Garden Organic seed library - and it crops prolifically at the top of 7-8 ft vines! In all the years I've been growing it I've never cooked a single pea - they're too delicious raw. I've grown Hurst Green Shaft this year too which has an amazing number of peas per pod and is also tasty raw.

    ReplyDelete