Tuesday, November 04, 2008

καιρετε vικουμεν

Don’t miss Angel’s account of last night in Oberlin. I was so happy to hear her say that the residents of the town were out on the streets with everybody else, weeping for joy and hugging the students. I can’t remember anything like that – no hostility, just that we didn’t have anything to say to each other.

So now all Mr Obama has to do is choose a puppy for his little girls, and change the world. He might just do it.

The Greek is what Pheidippides said ("Rejoice -- we conquer") when he had run from Marathon to Athens to tell them that the Persians were beaten, before dropping dead. That was an important battle, too. European history would have been different if the other side had won that one.

I anticipated good fortune and worked on it last night. The best I could do was to code each letter in HTML, with ampersands and the name of each letter written out. I feel there must be an easier way.

Knitting

I hardened my heart and laid the Princess aside after row 15 of the 10th centre repeat. So today I must (a) freeze her and (b) write very careful notes to myself to aid resumption.

And I’m knitting a swatch-cap – or, at any rate, a circular swatch – for Ketki’s sweater. I was too impatient to wait for niceties. I just cast on and started. If I wind up with anything I want to keep, I can pick up the stitches and knit some ribbing later.

It’s curling, of course, but I hope I’ll have done enough by tomorrow to take a picture anyway.

I’m using (for the moment) the stitch pattern from Candace Strick’s “Nordic Stars” on p. 60 of the Spring, ’08, Knitter’s, using a solid Araucania Ranco for the background and a “multi” for the contrast. So far, the pattern is not showing up very well, but I think it will speak for itself well enough when there is more of it.

Knititch, that is a good idea about posting the pattern for Alexander’s sweater and seeing if anyone recognises it. I went back through the blog entries about the evolution of that sweater yesterday, reminding myself of a good many things I had completely forgotten. There are a couple of good pictures that might serve. Maybe I’ll go back and fetch one.

Meanwhile, here is a picture which arrived yesterday of Alexander himself, on top of Ben Ime. I’ve never heard of it. The point of the picture is that I knit the kilt hose.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:30 AM

    How about "Νενικήκαμεν"? (copied and pasted from Wikipedia's page on Pheidipiddes). Congratulations!

    Philhellene

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow jean it was certainly your night and everybody's. isn't it wonderful. it calls for hope i am sure. so happy that bush is now history and we will not have to listen to his poor retorics any longer.

    i love the kilt hose but i am a kilt girl. the danish crownprincess was walked to the altar by her scottish father wearing his family kilt/tartan. people were breathless.

    yes post about the pattern. there must be help to find out there. maybe even from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:23 PM

    Excitement all over the globe! Congratulations - you worked hard on the Obama campaign.
    Lisa in Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the hard work you did to help Mr. Obama win.

    I understand that this is the first time the "overseas contingent" has made such a huge impact on an election.

    Yes, we can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean, I thought of you as soon as the lead became clear - you could hear the cheers and excitement all over Oberlin; those of us without CNN knew another state had turned blue from the excited whoops. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean, a friend sent me these: http://www.adoramapix.com/prestophoto/Obama+Wins+Oberlin/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:59 PM

    I believe that you can use QuickKey to drop and drag into HTML. Open Source, so free. Assuming you use a PC. If it's a Mac, I think you need to use the &# codes, I think....I don't do Greek, so I'm not sure. Let me think! Nah, you may have to change your character set. If this comes out as a zeta, then we'll know!

    &#950

    Anyway, ya'll planning on coming over and cutting a rug at the balls in January?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean, I feel like we've been in this together for so long! I am, as a friend said, dumbfounded with relief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:59 AM

    The college is still brimming with joy Jean- what a day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There seems to be a similar pattern on page 62 of the Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting...

    ReplyDelete