Friday, October 15, 2004

Decision

Well, I decided yesterday that it was too soon to give up on my chosen colour scheme for the Stillwater, so I plodded on, and I think I'm pleased with the result. Another picture promised soon.

It's difficult knitting, though. Apart from not being symmetrical, the pleasant, meandering pattern seems to Just Happen -- knitting one row gives me no feeling for what the next one is going to be. I remember starting to knit Kaffe Fassett's "Ancient" pattern once -- and I'm an accomplished KF knitter -- and after about eight rows I decided I couldn't STAND doing those cloud-like shapes, for much the same reason. I ripped the eight rows out and used the yarns to knit his "Afghan" pattern instead. Slow, hard work, but with some logic to it, and a great success in the end.

So I continue to be tempted to cast on a baby hat for the weary fag-end of the evening when memorising the color sequence for another round of Stillwater is just too much. But at the same time I'm afraid to lay something difficult down for fear I won't pick it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment